Oshugbo society drum
Ushi-Ekiti area, Nigeria
Wood, hide, pigment
L: 66.0 cm, H: 116.5 cm, D: 66.0 cm (L: 25.9 in, H: 45.8 in, D: 25.9 in)
Fowler Museum at UCLA. Anonymous Gift. X86.2973
This drum, called “agba oshugbo,” was part of a set of drums used by the Oshugbo society to call members to meetings and let the community know of the announcements of upcoming decisions. The Oshugbo society in Usi-Ekiti commissioned this drum from the artist Bandele for their “iledi,” or meeting place. It was delivered in 1947. The Oshugbo asked for specific motifs to appear on the drum, including a Sango priest holding a rattle and staff. Other motifs show scenes of everyday life including drummers and soldiers.
Source: DjeDje, J. C. (1999). “Turn Up the Volume! A Celebration of African Music”, Los Angeles: UCLA Fowler Museum of Cultural History. page 330